Thursday, January 24, 2013

This is the day that Lord has made, Let us rejoice and be glad in it.  Psalms 118:24

Oh how I love to go outside and paint when the weather is as beautiful as it was today! 

A wonderful friend from church blessed me with an antique coffee table that someone was throwing out and she thought of me!!! Of course I would love any discarded pieces of furniture!

The top was a little rough and needed refinishing but to me that means it needs to be painted.  First, it got a coat of black spray paint.  Then I added some blue.








I painted the top blue.  After looking at the pictures though, I wish I had left the top black.



I used a rose stencil that I have and tinted some Martha Stewart terra cotta finish paint black.  It made it thick and a little raised up through the stencil.



 
I sanded it pretty shabby and then stained it with Provential.  I think it turned out nice.  I wish I knew what kind of musical cord that is.  Treble clef??















Thank you very much for thinking of me and rescuing this beautiful table from the trash!! 



We also bought some furniture at the auction on Sunday, a highboy chest and a fireplace mantle.  I painted the highboy dresser in the cold on Sunday and Monday.  I did not get a before picture but managed to take one in between painting and sanding.


I hand brushed turquoise paint onto the drawers and my husband spray painted the chest with black spray paint.   Then we sanded everything.  I took off the knobs and painted them black and then sanded them too.  I spray painted the wood embelishment turquoise and then hot glued it to the backboard, then I took it off because you could see the glue and it did not stick very well so I used liquid nails on it instead.  

Finally, we stained it with Minwax Provential.  Then I waxed the drawer fronts and the top.  We loaded it up and took it to Witherspoons Monday afternoon. 

 
 



My next project is this mahogony fireplace mantle. It had some bad places on it so we decided to paint it.  We started with a coat of black spray paint but for some reason, the paint comes off when you touch it.  I bought a better quality paint today and plan to paint, sand, and stain it tomorrow.  Here is a picture of what it looks like now.


 I will post a picture tomorrow when it is done!!  I think it is going to be beautiful!

2 comments:

  1. I have this exact mantle... exactly! Who would have thunk it... I painted mine in "paper sack" and distressed it with a sander... so pretty...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see a picture. We just finished the mantle today.

    ReplyDelete